Friday, January 23, 2009

Project 1 and thoughts on class.


Here is my Project 1-1 exercise. I gave up on scanning and uploading and finally just took a picture of it with my camera (which is why it is slightly lopsided).
I enjoyed this exercise. It was a bit of a challenge for me to do the lines by hand, since with my vision issues I have trouble seeing what I'm doing, and my hand control and strength makes it difficult to do any type of writing or drawing for too long. But I took a few days to get the designs done - not great, but okay - and then just used scissors to cut out the squares from a template I held on the paper. I do have a cutting tool, but again, since it is difficult to put it on my reader and all I can't line up for precise measurements. Since this was for us to try out the lines and all, I figured this was close enough for now.
If I were to do this again I would do the lines and designs in Gimp and print out each one, rather than draw by hand. It would get more universal lines. And maybe if I had time I would just cut a section of each separate line design and paste it into a new document and align them to mke the square. I may play with that, though maybe not just using lines.
I have been trying out Gimp and am finding lots of neat effects. My problem is not necessarily editing, but knowing what the icons mean and how to implement them. I'm very glad we have two weeks between assignments to figure things out before we turn them in. : )
I also really like that it is focused on creativity rather than skill level. I am creative, but not quite there as to being fluent with the software yet. I may end up drawing much by hand or taking pictures and then playing with them in Gimp.
Hope you all are doing well too. I'm off to work on my programming homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment